Top tips for parents – staying safe online
1. Talk to your child about their favourite websites. Starting a conversation on a positive foot can lead nicely into a chat about online safety.
2. If your child loves to use social networking sites, teach them about protecting their personal information by thinking about what they are sharing and who they are sharing it with. Show them how to use privacy settings, and how to block and report – and advise them to only accept friend requests from people they know in real life.
3. Remind your child that showing respect for others online is just as important as showing it offline. Encourage them to think before they post and encourage them to show positive behaviour online.
4. There are lots of ways you can talk to your child about cyberbullying. If they are worried remind them to save the evidence and to always tell an adult they trust if something upsets them online. They can also talk to a teacher or someone in school.
5. There are ways in which you can help to prevent your child from seeing
inappropriate content online. Have you considered parental controls on your children’s phone or tablet?
#Wake Up Wednesday
If you would like further information on how to keep your children safe online please click the links below: